Safety Harness is a common and most important Personal Protective Equipment for people working on heights. Deaths due to falling from a height are one of the most common fatalities at the workplace. Facts and Figures, we can find from statistics available. In the United States only, there are more than three hundred deaths every year due to falls from height. And importantly, these figures are from the construction industry only. This is the reason for instructing people to wear harnesses without fail. Also, the quality of the harness also matches the standards.
The fitment of a safety harness is also important. As a piece of personal protective equipment (PPE), it helps to avoid serious injury or death in case of a fall. The safety harness contains a padded belt, shoulder straps, and leg loops. The padded belt goes around the waist covering most of the body part. The shoulder straps and leg loops help to get the intact fitting of the harness and comfortable wearing. The harness is always to be connected to a lanyard or lifeline, and the lanyard is then linked to a stable or strong anchor point.
Safety Harness for Heights
For many laymen, a safety harness looks like an ornament or outerwear only. Those who are prone to work at heights and happen to witness falls from heights will understand it better. If a worker with a harness worn falls from a height, the harness helps to distribute the force of the fall over the body. This prevents serious injury to him or her. Not only prevents sudden fall, but the harness also helps to keep the worker from hitting the ground, which can also be fatal.
In most developed and developing countries, especially in the United Arab Emirates, Safety harnesses are required by law in many workplaces. In the United States, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) requires employers to provide fall protection for employees who work at heights of six feet or more. It may vary from country to location to area.
For each type of working at height, there will be specific types of harnesses for them. The design and quality change according to the specific purse of the same. There are a few different types of safety harnesses for a specific purpose.
Types of safety harnesses:
- Full-body harness: It is the most common type of safety harness. This provides full-body protection and is suitable for a wide range of activities, including construction, roofing, and tree work.
- Chest harness: This type of harness is designed to protect the chest and abdomen. It is often used by workers who are exposed to electrical hazards.
- Lanyard harness: This type of harness is attached to a lanyard, which is then secured to an anchor point. It is often used by workers who need to move around freely, such as painters and window cleaners.
No matter what type of safety harness you choose, it is important to make sure that it fits properly and is in good condition. The harness should be snug but not too tight, and all of the straps should be secure. You should also inspect the harness regularly for any signs of damage.
If you are working at heights, it is important to wear a safety harness. It is one of the most effective ways to prevent serious injury or death in the event of a fall.
Here are some tips for using a safety harness safely:
- Make sure the harness fits properly. It should be snug but not too tight.
- Remember to select a good brand with quality
- Inspect the harness regularly for any signs of damage.
- Attach the harness to a secure anchor point.
- Do not tie the lanyard around a tree or other object.
- Be aware of your surroundings and avoid working in areas where there is a risk of falling.
- If you do fall, relax and allow the harness to do its job.
Also, with the above tips, one can ensure that they are using your safety harness safely.
Contact Nearest Safety Harness Dealer for a reliable and certified harness and lanyard. In the UAE, TCGroupuae is a wholesaler and retailer of Safety Harnesses
Showing 1–12 of 15 results